International Travel

Many communities travel outside of the United States, and all students are responsible for obtaining the necessary travel documents and making sure that they are valid for travel. Some non-United States citizens will also have to obtain a visa in order to enter the country the community is traveling.

Students are responsible for:

  • Completing the required online forms for international travel from the Office of International Education, no later than 30 days prior to travel
  • Obtaining any necessary travel documents (e.g. passport, visa, etc.)
  • Ensuring that all travel documents are valid, current, and do not expire prior to travel dates
  • Providing travel document and emergency contact information to the Office of New Student and Transition Programs by established deadlines
  • Attending the pre-trip departure meeting, that reviews the travel policies and expectations, as well as helpful travel reminders
  • (International students only) Knowing their ability for re-entry into the United States

Passports and Visas
Students who do not have a passport or who possess an expired passport, need to complete and submit their application, with enough time for travel. Students who require a visa for travel, need to complete and submit their application, to the respective embassy, no later than 90 days prior to travel. The New Student and Transition Programs Office (NSTP) will provide students who require visas with supporting documentation (e.g. financial statements, itinerary, support letter). Students should refer to travel policies for more information.

Required Immunizations
The NSTP Office will notify students of any recommended or required immunizations for the travel destination, per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Please note: the Student Health Center does not provide travel immunizations.

Health Insurance
The Office of New Student and Transition Programs purchases, at no cost to the student, comprehensive international travel and health insurance for the duration of the trip. Students will receive the international insurance card prior to travel.

Registration with the United States Department of State
All international travel is registered with the United States Department of State by the Office of New Student and Transition Programs. This makes the group's presence and whereabouts known in the host country, in case it is necessary for a consular officer to contact a student or the group in case of emergency or a natural disaster.